International Students

It is the responsibility of all international students to follow the procedures and policies according to the International Student Office (ISO). The ISO is located on the second floor in Enrollment Services.

Student Responsibilities

  1. Confirm attendance (within 5 days of the starts of their first semester).
  2. Report all changes in:
    1. Address (in person or online)
    2. Course load
    3. Employment situation
    4. Sponsor
    5. Program of study
    6. Status (applications for permanent residency)
  3. Inform of intentions/plans to transfer to another institution
  4. Notify of plans to extend the I-20
  5. Maintain current passport

Maintaining Status

Status maintenance is essential for international students. Whether students maintain their status will determine continued enrollment at the College. In order for international students to maintain status, they should:

  • Be enrolled full-time (12 or more credits each semester)
  • Engage in authorized employment only
  • Progress toward completing their program within the established timeframe
  • Apply for changes such as transfers in a timely manner (allow for 2 business day for processing)
  • Maintain a 2.0 grade point average (GPA)

A violation to the F-1 status results in students falling out of status. If students choose to engage in status-violating activities after having been instructed on what constitutes a status-violating activity, the procedures and regulations established by law will be enforced. Status Violating Activities include the following:

  1. Staying in the country after the I-20 form has expired without having applied for a new program or transferring to another approved educational institution.
  2. Failure to maintain conditions of status, which include:
    1. Enrolling less than full-time without the authorization of the International Student Office (ISO) - full time is 12 credits each semester
    2. Registering and attending a school other than LDS Business College without proper authorization
    3. Stop attending classes and receiving a UW grade
    4. Late applications for transfers, program extensions, and/or OPT
    5. Unauthorized employment or putting employment ahead of their education
    6. Failure to maintain a 2.0 GPA for two semesters

Other types of violations, equally serious, are those related to the College’s Honor Code. In situations related to Honor Code violations and those of similar nature, the International Student Office will proceed according to the instructions received from the appropriate departments and individuals.

Attendance Confirmation

All international students must report to the College ISO within 5 days of the start of their first semester. Students should bring their I-20, I-94, visa, and their passport. Student Exchange Visitor Program (SEVIS) requires students to report to the ISO to confirm attendance. Transfer students will receive a new I-20 once they report to the ISO confirming the approval of their transfer. Failure to report to the ISO will result in the cancellation of the I-20.

Name and Address Changes

SEVP requires international students to notify the ISO within 10 days if they changes their name and/or move. Remember, if the College does not know how to contact students, it cannot keep them updated with important information.

Changing Majors

Changes of majors should be processed the semester before students intends to start the new program. Students should complete a Student Data Form at the ISO. Students who change majors will need a new I-20. Students may pick up a new I-20 from the ISO. Students will be notified via student email when the I-20 is ready.

Program Extensions

Program extensions will be carefully examined. Extensions may be granted to those international students who need extra time to finish their program due to a change in major or other extenuating circumstances. Students are strongly encouraged to meet with an academic advisor each semester to ensure they are on track to complete all the program requirements. Students who have not made satisfactory academic progress will not be eligible for an extension.


Transfers will be processed when the international students are academically eligible to transfer. Students must notify the ISO of their final decision to transfer by submitting a copy of their acceptance letter to the transferring institution and completing the SEVIS Record of Transfer Form located online at BCINL in order to facilitate the transfer of the students electronic file (the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System file). The College will transfer the students effective the first day after grades are posted, unless the students request is a different date.

All employment authorizations end when the SEVIS record is transferred.

International students may remain in the United States up to five (5) months when transferring out of the current school without pursuing a full-time course load when in-between schools. The 5 months are calculated according to the date of the student’s official transfer – the first day of the semester in the new school and the last day of the semester in the current school.

Students status and I-20 forms are issued in connection with a specific college and program. When students transfer to another institution, the new educational institution will issue a new I-20 Form indicating the new educational institution, new programs, and the new expected program end date.

Authorization to Reduce Course Load (drop below 12 credits)

International students cannot make changes in their schedule, which would drop them below 12 credits (full-time) without obtaining authorization from the International Student Coordinator. This rule is applicable both before and after the add/drop deadlines. Authorization may be given for extenuating circumstances. Students will be considered in status despite less than 12 credit enrollment if:

  1. They have less than 12 credits left to graduate.
  2. They have obtained a medical leave of absence.
    1. Students who encounter a medical condition will need to present proper documentation stating the illness 30 days after the occurrence of the illness. Students will be required to enroll the following semester. If the medical condition extends for a period of longer than two semesters, students will be advised to return to their country to recuperate. Students who ask for a medical leave of absence immediately after they enter the county will be denied, unless they prove they have contracted the medical condition after entering the United States that restrains them from pursuing their academic work.
  3. They have been improperly placed – referring to course level.

Students are considered in session and may not work more than 20 hours a week while on reduced course load.

Completion of Study/Completion of OPT/Expiration of I-20

An F-1 international students is granted an additional 60- day period from their program completion date or end day of OPT to transfer to another institution, depart from the United States or apply for OPT (if eligible and not currently completing OPT).

Status changes must be applied before for either the completion of study/OPT or the expiration of the I-20.

Students whose I-20 expires without completing their program are considered out of status and must leave the country immediately.

Authorized Withdrawal

F-1 international students authorized by the ISO to withdraw from all their classes will be allowed a 15-day period for departure from the United States. Students who fail to maintain legal status will not be granted any additional departure period.

Concurrent Enrollment

International students may be enrolled in two different SEVIS approved schools at one time as long as they combine enrollment amounts to a full-time course of study. Students must receive approval from the ISO before enrolling at another institution. Failure to obtain approval may cause a status violation.

Online Courses

Only one online course (3 credit maximum) will be considered toward the 12 credits required to maintain status. Nine (9) credits must be taken in class at the College. Students wanting to add the Integrated Studies should seek help from the Advising Center and begin the Integrated Studies degree when they have completed 30 credits of their AAS Degree.

Academic Progress

International students who maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher and are moving steadily and progressively toward degree completion are considered to be making satisfactory academic progress.

Academic Probation and Suspension

Academic probation is an administrative warning that will not affect international student’s status. Students falls out of status if they are not progressing toward the completion of the program of study and are suspended. The International Student Advisor will react according to the recommendation and stipulations established by the Director of Student Support as long as it is within USCIS rules and regulations.


International students who fail to maintain legal status may apply for reinstatement. Students wishing to apply for reinstatement must meet the following requirements:

  • Establish to the satisfaction of the ISO that the status violation resulted from circumstances beyond the student’s control
  • Has not been out of status for more than 5 months
  • Does not have a record of repeated or willful violations of SEVIS regulations
  • Is currently pursuing, or intending to pursue, a full course of study in the immediate future at the school which issued the reinstatement I-20
  • Has not engaged in unauthorized employment
  • Is not deportable on any other grounds


Scholarships available through the College are limited. All questions should be forwarded to the Scholarship Office. International students should not expect to finance their studies through employment or scholarships. If students have a sponsor, the sponsor is the designated person to help them with their finances. In special cases, such as where the sponsor’s business files bankruptcy or an extreme fluctuation in exchange rates, students may apply for Severe Economic Hardship.


International students who wish to travel out of the United States at any time will be able to do so. In order to re-enter the United States, students will need a current F-1 student visa, a valid passport, and a properly endorsed I-20. Students must have the second page of their I-20 endorsed by the PDSO/DSO prior to leaving the country. Students should plan to have their I-20 signed in a timely manner.

Annual Vacations

International students can take their annual vacation semester after having been enrolled for two consecutive semesters full-time. If students do not have a minimum of 12 credits each semester, they will not be eligible to go on vacation. Vacations should not be mistaken for in-between semester breaks. Those periods of time, such as Christmas break, are separate from annual vacations.

Employment Options

International students are eligible to work on-campus at the beginning of their first semester. Students cannot work off campus unless they are eligible to do Curricular Practical Training (CPT). Students cannot apply for CPT until they have been at the College for at least one academic year and completed 50% of the program core requirements. Failure to obtain CPT authorization before beginning employment will result in the termination of the I-20. Students may not work more than 20 hours a week while school is in session. During annual vacation and semester breaks, students may work more than 20 hours.

On-Campus Employment (LDS Business College and some positions at Church Headquarters). On-campus jobs are listed on the College’s website or students may visit Career & Employment Services, located on the 4th floor.

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

International students are eligible to request CPT Work Authorization after they have completed 9 consecutive months or one academic year in a skills based major (such as accounting, business, business administrative support, health professions, or interior design). Students must maintain a 2.0 GPA, be a full-time student, and have completed 50% of the required program core courses.

To request CPT Work Authorization:

  • Go the ISO to request status clearance for CPT Work Authorization.
  • Schedule an appointment to receive the Curricular Practical Training Authorization Form and instructions and return it to the ISO.
  • Receive a new I-20 showing CPT authorization. Students may not begin working until the above process has been completed and a new I-20 with work authorization has been issued.
  • Enroll in the internship course that corresponds to the student’s major. Failure to enroll in an internship class will result in the loss of CPT authorization.

CPT is not a means to gain permanent off-campus employment. It is temporary employment authorization to gain practical training within the student’s course of study. For complete information, visit the International Student Office.

Optional Practical Training (OPT)

International students should visit the ISO to determine eligibility for OPT. Following are general eligibility requirements.

Post-Completion OPT (full-time)

International students are eligible to request OPT Employment Authorization during the last semester of their education. The process takes approximately three (3) months to complete and costs $410 (fees are subject to change without notice. Fee is non-refundable). Students who begin the process at the beginning of their last semester will most likely be eligible to begin working as soon as the semester is completed.

To Request OPT authorization:

  • Students may request OPT authorization 90 days prior to the completion of their program. (Students cannot apply more than 90 days prior to the end of their program).
  • Students must apply and be approved for graduation pending successful completion of remaining courses.
  • Students should schedule an appointment with the ISO to submit their application for OPT.
  • Students should bring their passport, visa, I-94, I-20, and Social Security Card (if they have one), a check or money order for $410, and 2 passport pictures to their appointment.
  • Students who complete the process and receive their Employment Authorization Document (EAD) card, but do not successfully complete their degree requirements, will be able to work part-time and return to school to complete the course work.
  • Students may apply for OPT up to 60 days after completion of their program but not more than 90 days prior to completion.

After OPT Employment Authorization is granted:

  • Students must show their EAD to the ISO.
  • Students must report any changes in employment to the ISO within 10 days.
  • Students must report any periods of unemployment to the ISO.
  • Students must report any changes in name or address to the ISO within 10 days.

For complete information please visit the International Student Office.


Activities such as babysitting, house cleaning, door-to-door sales, playing in a band, selling handicrafts or artwork, etc. are considered self-employment. The law prohibits self-employment. Engaging in these activities as well as similar activities is considered unauthorized employment and constitute a status violation.

Social Security Number

International students must have a job offer before they may apply for a social security number. If a job offer has been extended, students should bring proof of the job offer to the ISO. The ISO will issue necessary documentation that must be presented to the Social Security Administration.


The ISO will communicate with international students via the College’s email system. Students are required to check their College email on a regular basis, including semester breaks, annual vacations, after graduation, and during OPT. Students are responsible for the information communicated via email.


Dependents of F-1 visa holders are issued F-2 visas. F-2 visa holders may engage in part-time study or studies to pursue a hobby or in occasional, casual, or recreational studies, i.e. a ceramics class, swimming lessons, etc. Dependents are not authorized to work at any time, under any circumstance. They are not allowed to study full-time.

F-2 visa holders may travel without the primary F-1 visa holder provided they present a current and properly endorsed I-20 Form, a current passport, visa, and I-94.

Underage dependents, i.e. elementary, middle-school, and high school age dependents can be enrolled in a full-time course of study at any approved educational institution.

Legal Documents

F-1 international students are responsible to maintain all documents required for legal status.


International students are expected to maintain all copies of the I-20’s issued to them. The I-20 in conjunction with the I-94 maintains the student’s legal status while studying the in the United States.


International students are expected to keep a valid passport at all times during their study in the United States. An expired passport is a status violation.


Form I-94 is the DHS Arrival/Departure records issued to international students who are admitted to the United States. This is an electronic form. Students can print a paper copy at


All visitors to the United States, including international students, must enter with a visa (unless their county is part of the visa waiver program). All students must enter with a valid I-20. Once students are admitted to the United States, status is maintained by the I-94 and the I-20 forms. Students who wish to leave the county may use the same visa to re-enter as long as it has not expired. Students who leave the country and their visa has expired, must apply for a new visa in their home country.

Legal Matters Related to International Students

Despite the status as international students, they can sue and can be sued in a civil court of justice. The legal proceedings will depend on the alleged felony, the court where the complaint was filed or where the arrest warrant originated.

Criminal Activity

International students involved in criminal activity, puts their visa status into jeopardy. The Unites States Judicial System treats U.S. citizens and non-immigrants equally. Therefore, students have the same right to an attorney and to have their rights explained in a case of arrest – Miranda Rights. Students are also protected from unlawful search and seizure. Some of these general rights conflict at times with some DHS mandates.

In case of arrest, students should notify the College immediately with the incident and process to hire an attorney.

If the felony is also considered a violation of the Honor Code or other regulations enforced by the College, the Director of Student Support will proceed in accordance with the College procedures and policies. The International Student Advisor will participate in the procedure, if deemed necessary.

If the felony is not considered a violation to the Honor Code, the College will observe the proceedings and make the necessary adjustments to comply with the court mandates.

Please be aware all the rules, processes, and policies are in place to protect our students and to assure a better experience. The ISO expects students to feel free to share uncertainties, question, and to seek clarification.