Curricular Practical Training - CPT

International students are eligible to request CPT Work Authorization after they have completed 9 consecutive months or one academic year in a skill based major. Students must maintain a 2.0 GPA, be a full-time student, and have completed 50% of the required program core courses or the full certificate program. They must also be enrolled in the internship course associated with the program.

To request CPT Work Authorization:

  • Go to the ISO to request Part 1 of the CPT form. Read the instructions, fill it out and return it to the ISO. The ISO will notify the student if he/she is eligible to do CPT.
  • If you are approved, pick up Part 2 of the CPT form, fill in all required information and get all required signatures.
  • Enroll in the required internship course for your program. You CANNOT participate in CPT unless you are enrolled in your required internship course.
  • Return Part 2 of the CPT Form to the ISO.
  • Receive a new I-20 showing CPT authorization. Students may not begin working until the above process has been completed and a new I-20 with work authorization has been issued.

Students cannot do CPT for longer than one year.

While on CPT, the student can only work part time (20 hours or less per week) unless the student is on his/her vacation semester.

CPT is not a means to gain permanent off-campus employment. It is temporary employment authorization to gain practical training within the student’s course of study. For complete information, visit the International Student Office.