Financial Aid and Scholarships

Financial Aid and Scholarship Office Contact Information

Address: 95 N 300 W Salt Lake City, UT 84101

Second floor of Ensign College

Call: 801-524-8111

Text: 801-923-3698


Types of Financial Aid Available

There are many financial options that may be available for students:

Types of Federal Financial Aid Available

Students may apply for federal financial aid by submitting a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). To learn more about federal financial aid at Ensign College, visit Ensign College participates in the following federal programs. 

Federal Pell Grant 
A Federal Pell Grant is provided by the U.S. Department of Education on the basis of financial need. Pell Grants are based on the estimated cost of attendance, length of the enrollment period, and then number or program applicable credits in which a student enrolls. Most students do not have to be enrolled full time to qualify for a Pell Grant; however, taking less than 12 credits will result in a prorated award. The student must be an undergraduate who does not already have a bachelor’s degree. A Pell Grant is not a loan and is not required to be paid back. 

Federal Direct Subsidized Loans 
A Federal Direct Subsidized Loan is provided by the U.S. Department of Education on the basis of financial need. A Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan is also provided by the U.S. Department of Education; however, it is not based on financial need. A student must be enrolled in at least 6 program applicable credits in order for their loan funds to disburse. Principal and interest payments are postponed while the student is enrolled in at least 6 credits (half time) and during the six-month grace period after graduation or ceasing to attend at least half time. While the student is enrolled in at least 6 credits (half time), the federal government pays the interest for the student. For more information on student loans and grace periods, please visit

Federal Direct Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS) 
A Federal Direct Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS) is available for the parents of undergraduate students who are enrolled in at least half-time (6 credits). The amount borrowed by the parent may not exceed the estimated cost of attendance during the period of enrollment. Please contact the financial aid office to determine eligibility.

General Eligibility for Federal Student Aid

In general, a financial aid recipient must meet the following eligibility standards:

  1. Have a high school diploma, G.E.D. certificate, or a high school equivalency certificate issued by their state of legal residence.
  2. Be admitted and enrolled as a degree-seeking student.
  3. Be a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen.
  4. Be making satisfactory academic progress. For details please visit
  5. Be current on any required repayments of federal grants and/or federal student loans received for attendance at any school.
  6. If required, a male student must be registered with Selective Service.
  7. Have a valid Social Security Number.

How to Apply for Federal Student Aid

All students applying for federal student aid must first complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to determine eligibility. Students can apply online at The FAFSA requires information from the student’s federal tax form and possibly the student’s parents’ or spouse’s federal tax form. Other information, such as number of individuals in the household, number attending college, value of savings accounts and assets, etc., will need to be reported.

After the student’s FAFSA has been submitted to the U.S. Department of Education, and evaluated, a Student Aid Report (SAR) will be sent electronically to Ensign College. This information will be used to determine the types of aid for which the student is eligible.

One week after submitting a FAFSA, students should check their “To Do List” in their MyEnsign Student Center to verify their FAFSA was received by Ensign College and to determine if any additional information is required to process their application. Any additional documentation requested should be submitted through the Financial Aid Forms Portal as soon as possible to avoid delays in receiving federal financial aid. Students can expect federal aid award information to be available in their online Financial Aid Student Portal within four weeks of submitting the last correct required document.

Important Deadlines for Federal Student Aid

Financial Aid Census Date

The amount of financial aid you qualify for is affected by the credit hours for which you are enrolled as of 11:59 p.m. on the financial aid census date (“FAD”).  Classes added after this date or dropped/withdrawn before funds are disbursed to your student account will not impact your financial aid eligibility for the semester.

Please review the academic calendars to identify the financial aid determination deadline

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) Deadline

The Department of Education must receive a valid FAFSA by the student’s last day of enrollment for the academic year. Students should complete their FAFSA and submit any required documents preferably two months before their last day of attendance. 


The financial aid office recommends students turn in all verification items as soon as possible – preferably no later than two months before the last date of enrollment. It is the student’s responsibility to be aware of all deadlines.

Return of Title IV or Withdrawals

Students receiving financial aid or scholarships should check with the Financial Aid Office before withdrawing or dropping any classes after the semester has begun.  Students should never just stop attending class.  If a student drops or withdraws from individual classes, they must have begun attending in each course in order to remain eligible for the initial disbursement of financial aid.

At the end of the term, the financial aid office will review students who do not complete some or all of their classes and your last date of attendance is reviewed and/or your academic participation.  If a recipient of Title IV grant or loan funds completely withdraws (either officially or unofficially) from the College after beginning attendance, the amount of Title IV grant or loan assistance earned by the student must be determined.  Financial aid may be reduced after this review is complete and student will be notified via email about balances returned to the Department of Education.

Please visit for more detailed information.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

A student receiving federal aid (federal grants and loans) must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). SAP includes your cumulative grade point average, your aggregate completion rate (Pace) and the maximum time frame to complete your degree. All periods of enrollment count toward Satisfactory Academic Progress (Fall, Winter, Spring), including periods when a student does not receive financial aid.

Students must maintain at least a 2.0 cumulative GPA, complete at least 67% of the classes taken, and complete their program within 150% of the published program time (see your academic catalog year for specific # of credits). 

Please visit our website for more information and the SAP policy

Marriage and Federal Financial Aid

Students who are married by the last day of the Winter semester, may choose to update their marital status.  Students are encouraged to speak with the financial aid office before changing marital status if they have already submitted a FAFSA for the current academic year.

For more information about changing marital status, please view

Ensign College Scholarships

To embrace and support each individual’s unique talents and circumstances, the College provides a variety of scholarship funds for students. Ensign College has a new Scholarship Portal which allows students to apply for institutional scholarships – as well as many outside scholarship opportunities. Please visit our scholarship website to learn more about the scholarship options and to apply for a scholarship,

General Scholarship Policies

Ensign College scholarship recipients are expected to abide by the Ensign College Scholarship Policy. Please view