Student Services Policies

Academic Advising

The Student Success Center (SSC) provides academic and general student success advising. Student Success Advisors support and guide students throughout their time at the College by helping them:

  • Set general life and professional goals
  • Select appropriate educational courses and programs that support those goals
  • Understand policies and procedures
  • Connect with campus services and resources

Students can call 801-524-8151 to set an appointment to meet with their advisor.


Ensign College accepts qualified students without regard to race, color, creed, gender, national origin, age, or disability, provided they have met the equivalent of high school graduation requirements and the ability to benefit; agree to abide by the Church Educational System (CES) Honor Code, including the Dress and Grooming Standards, and are otherwise qualified as determined by College policy through a holistic review. Qualified applicants are admitted based on educational goals and commitment to College policies and standards.

Students who qualify for admission are admitted after reaching age 17. All applicants must submit the equivalent of a U.S. high school diploma. This equivalency could be any of the following options:

  • High School diploma earned from a U.S. accredited public, private, or charter school
  • IB Diploma
  • GED, HiSET, or CHSPE passing testing (completed in the United States only)
  • Diploma, certificate, or transcript showing completion of Home School program that is recognized by a state as evidence of High School Completion (United States only)
  • Completion of high school/secondary education (internationally) - must be evaluated by IERF or WES and determined to be a U.S. high school diploma equivalency

Non-native speakers may be required to provide an English proficiency test that meets minimum sub scores as provided on the College website. International applicants requiring an I-20 to be issued an F-1 visa must also adhere to all federal immigration and laws and regulations, including affidavit of financial support and submitting necessary payment prior to being issued an I-20.

Admission may be restricted by semester or department depending on College or program capacities.

Admissions Procedures

Prospective students may apply via the Ensign College website.

All applicants will be required to complete an ecclesiastical recommendation as part of their admissions application. Applicants who are members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will need to meet with the bishop of the ward where their records reside and a member of their stake presidency.

Applicants who are not members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will need to complete an initial interview with their own clergy or a Latter-day Saint bishop and then have a follow-up interview with the Ensign College Chaplain, Jeffrey Rowland at 801-524-1923 or via email:

Application Fee

There is a one-time $35.00 application fee. CES admission applications do not accept fee waivers.

Application Materials

Applicants are to be honest and forthright in providing all education history (from domestic and international institutions). Any student who fails to provide correct information will be required to provide verification of this information and may have their admission revoked if the information is found incorrect.

CES has a central processing center so all admissions application materials, including test scores for all CES schools (Ensign College, BYU-Hawaii, BYU-Idaho, and BYU) should be sent to:

CES Admissions Processing
A-41 ASB
Provo, UT 84602
Phone (801) 422-2507

Application Deadlines

Applications must have all application material submitted on or before the established deadlines listed below, for regular class schedules and Block B schedules. For information on other application deadlines, please contact

Please note that if an application deadline falls on a Sunday or holiday, the application will close the next business day.

Semester Application Deadline
Fall 2020 (September 14 - December 16) International Applicants: August 1, 2020
Domestic Applicants: September 1, 2020
Winter 2021 (January 6 - April 8) International Applicants: November 15, 2020
Domestic Applicants: December 15, 2020
Spring 2021 (April 19 - July 20) International Applicants: March 1, 2021
Domestic Applicants: April 1, 2021

Applicant Types

Domestic and International students will select one applicant type on the admission application.

  • Freshman: The applicant has not completed any College or University work (in the U.S. or internationally) AFTER completing high school or its equivalency.
  • Transfer with fewer than 24 credits: The student has completed fewer than 24 semester credits of College or University work (in the U.S. or internationally) after completing high school or its equivalency.
  • Transfer with more than 24 credits: The student has completed more than 24 semester credits of College or University work (in the U.S. or internationally) after completing high school or its equivalency.
  • Former student with no additional credit: The student has earned credits from Ensign College and has not attended any other College or University since last attending Ensign College.
  • Former student with additional credit: The student has earned credits from Ensign College and has attended another College or University after attending Ensign College.
  • Visiting Student: Any student wishing to enroll for a single semester to take courses with no intention to pursue and/or complete a degree. There is no financial aid available.

Visiting Students

Definition: A Visiting Student is defined as a student who wishes to enroll at Ensign College with no intention to pursue and/or complete a degree. A visiting student is a non-matriculated student, meaning non-degree seeking.


  1. Applicants wishing to attend Ensign College but do not plan to earn an Ensign College degree may attend as a Visiting Student.
  2. International Students will not be permitted to see this applicant type on the admissions application as they are not eligible due to Federal regulations.
  3. Visiting students can apply for any open semester.
  4. All admissions policies, application fees, processes, dates, deadlines, and discontinuance policies apply to the visiting applicant type.
  5. Prior educational documents will not be required for visiting students.
  6. All visiting students will have to complete the admissions application, which includes the ecclesiastical endorsement process.


  1. All academic deadlines and tuition rates apply to Visiting Students.
  2. Visiting Students may enroll in as many as 12 credits per semester.
  3. Only 1 course taken as a Visiting Student will count toward an Ensign College degree.
  4. Courses taken and grades received as a Visiting Student will be posted on official Ensign College transcripts.
  5. The program of study noted on the transcript will be Visiting Student.
  6. Visiting Students who wish to obtain a degree at Ensign College must reapply for admission as a degree-seeking student.
  7. Visiting students are not eligible for Federal financial aid or Ensign College scholarships.
  8. Visiting students are not eligible for an Incomplete Grade process.
  9. Visiting students are eligible to audit a class.
  10. Visiting students will not be assigned an advisor. In the event a student meets with an advisor, the academic requirements in PeopleSoft will provide clarity showing no courses linked to their visiting program.
  11. Visiting students will be included in our headcount enrollment.

Notification of Application Status and Admission

Applicants can track their status and view their admission decision online through their application. Admission decisions are usually made no later than four to six weeks after the final application deadline.

International Students Admissions

In addition to the standard application materials listed above, any international students and U.S. citizens that complete any high school/secondary education at a non-U.S. accredited institution outside of the United States must provide the following:

High school transcripts and, if applicable, college or university transcripts must be evaluated by an evaluation agency as part of the application process. Ensign College accepts evaluations from World Education Services/ WES ( and International Education Research Foundation/IERF ( IERF is preferred. These evaluations must show evidence of a U.S. high school diploma equivalency.

Proof of English proficiency (TOEFL, IELTS, Pearson’s PTE or Cambridge): International and US students not educated in an English language curriculum are required to demonstrate English language proficiency by meeting minimum scores on one of the exams listed below. In certain cases, these exams may be required of students educated in an English language curriculum as well. Official TOEFL, IELTS, PTE or Cambridge English results are required of applicants from non-English speaking countries or U.S. citizens whose high school education was not in English. The minimum score requirements are as follows: (subject to change)

Ensign College does not accept the Michigan MELAB or the Michigan Internexus tests.

Subject Area / Sub Scores Reading Listening Speaking Writing
TOEFL (IBT) 17 16 16 17
IELTS 6.0 6.0 5.5 5.0
Pearson's PTE 47 45 45 47
Cambridge English -
Advanced Placement Test (CAE) or Proficiency Test (CPE)
169 169 162 154

International Student Deposit

In order for students to be successful academically at Ensign College, they must also be financially prepared. All international students (those in F-1 status) are required to pay a deposit as follows:

Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will be required to pay $5,000 USD and those students who are not members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will be required to pay $7,500 USD to the Ensign College cashier’s office following notification of their admission. Students will not be able to register for classes, nor will the I-20 be created until the deposit is paid and all other documents are received. The registration hold will be removed once all required documents and full deposit are received. There is no option for students to pay a portion of the deposit. A full deposit is required.

At Ensign College, the deposit will be held in escrow with the intent that it will assist the student to begin school. Students who are members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints may access up to $3,000 and students who are not members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints may access up to $5,500 to be applied towards their fees and tuition. The remaining $2,000, which is set aside for the student as an emergency fund, is for the purchase of a plane ticket to return to their home country.

Homeschool Applicants

Home school students who qualify for admission are admitted after reaching age 17, or after the graduation date of their traditional high school class. Students must submit the equivalent of a high school diploma. The following are the equivalent of a high school diploma:

  • Diploma, certificate, or transcript showing completion of home school program that is recognized by a state as evidence of high school completion
  • A GED Certificate
  • Evidence of a passing score on tests recognized by the state and similar to the GED, such as the High School Equivalency Test or HiSET and the Test Assessing Secondary Completion or TASC

High School Transcript Verification

For students who have completed their high school work at a U.S. accredited institution, the applicant will need to self-report their high school GPA. However, the admissions office reserves the right to request a transcript to verify high school completion and GPA at random as well as in the event that conflicting information may be present in the application. If a transcript is required, it will be indicated on your status screen or from the email address.

BYU-Pathway Worldwide Students

Ensign College welcomes PathwayConnect students to apply for admissions. On the admissions application, applicants will enter Pathway Program as an institution in their educational history and provide their Pathway transcript and any additional materials required as outlined in the admissions application. PathwayConnect applicants will follow the regular admission process and are subject to the same admission requirements for all applicants. The PathwayConnect transcript does not take the place of the high school equivalency or the English Proficiency requirements. Admission is not guaranteed for PathwayConnect students.

PathwayConnect Transfer Guide

Ensign College will accept nine (9) credit hours of elective credit and six (6) credit hours of religion from the student’s PathwayConnect experience. Ensign College’s partnership with PathwayConnect gives students a wide range of educational and career options. The degrees offered through Ensign College accommodate students who want to transfer to BYU-Idaho or other higher educational institutions.

PathwayConnect Course Ensign College Transfer Guide
GS 120: Pathway Life Skills
Elective credit (3)
GS 120L: Pathway English & Life Skills
Elective credit (3)
MATH 100G: Personal Finance
Elective credit (3)
MATH 100L: English Language and Personal Finance
Elective credit (3)
ENG 106: Basic Writing
Elective credit (3)
ENG 106L: English Language and Basic Writing
Elective credit (3)
FDREL 275: Teachings & Doctrine of the Book of Mormon
Cornerstone Religion, but not College Religion Residency Hours
FDREL 250: Jesus Christ and the Everlasting Gospel
Cornerstone Religion, but not College Religion Residency Hours
FEDREL 200: The Eternal Family 
Cornerstone Religion, but not College Religion Residency Hours

Church Educational System (CES) Honor Code

Ensign College and other Church Educational System institutions exist to provide an education in an atmosphere consistent with the ideals and principles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. That atmosphere is created and preserved by a community of faculty, administration, staff, and students who voluntarily commit to conduct their lives in accordance with the principles of the gospel of Jesus Christ and strive to maintain the highest standards of honor, integrity, morality, and consideration of others in their personal conduct. By accepting appointment, continuing in employment, being admitted, or continuing class enrollment, each member of the Ensign College community personally commits to observe these Honor Code standards approved by the Board of Trustees "at all times and in all things, and in all places" (Mosiah 18:9):

  • Be honest.
  • Live a chaste and virtuous life, including abstaining from any sexual relations outside a marriage between a man and a woman.
  • Respect others, including the avoidance of profane and vulgar language.
  • Obey the law and follow campus policies.
  • Abstain from alcoholic beverages, tobacco, tea, coffee, vaping, and substance abuse.
  • Participate regularly in Church services (required only of Church members).
  • Observe the Ensign College' s dress and grooming standards.
  • Encourage others in their commitment to comply with the Honor Code.

Good Honor Code Standing

When a student is in good honor code standing, they have the blessings of protection, preparation and peace. It also means a student’s conduct is consistent with the Principles of Personal Honor, the CES Honor Code, The Family: A Proclamation to the World, For the Strength of Youth, the College Standards and Policies, and the principles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, both on and off campus. Students must be in good honor code standing to be admitted to, continue enrollment at, and graduate from Ensign College.

Students not in good honor code standing may be suspended from the college. Excommunication, disfellowshipment, or disaffiliation from the Church will automatically result in the loss of good honor code standing.

Furthermore, a student is not in good honor code standing if his or her ecclesiastical endorsement has either lapsed or been withdrawn, or if the Student Honor Office has placed a hold on the student’s records. All students are required to remain in good honor code standing once admitted to Ensign College, whether they are on or off campus, on or off break. Individuals who are on any sex-offender registry are not eligible for enrollment at Ensign College. Registered sex offenders will not be allowed employment at Ensign College nor other access to the campus.

Changing Major

Students are admitted with a declared program of study from their selection during the admissions application process. If a student wishes to change their program of study (major), they must schedule a time to meet with their advisor in the Student Success Center.

Changes of majors should be processed the semester before students intends to start the new program. International Students will need to coordinate with the International Student Office if the change of major was processed.

Church Attendance

Tithing dollars fund the majority of a student’s education at Ensign College, and admission is reserved primarily for those who adhere to the principles and practices of the Church. The educational experience at the College should augment and enhance righteous worship. Students must attend weekly Church meetings in order to receive an ecclesiastical endorsement from their bishop and continue as a student.

Confidentiality of Student Records (FERPA)

Student education records at Ensign College are generally accessible to eligible students according to the provisions of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). The following is notice of student rights to their education records, a summary of the procedures for exercising those rights, and a description of student directory information that may be disclosed to the public without the student’s consent as required by law.

Eligible students, admitted and enrolled at Ensign College, generally have the right to:

  1. Inspect and review their education records within a reasonable period of time upon submitting a written request to the Registration Office specifying the records to be inspected along with proof of identification. The Registration Office will notify the student of the time and place the records may be inspected.
  2. Petition Ensign College to amend or correct any part of the education record believed to be inaccurate, misleading, or in violation of their privacy rights. Students may submit a written request to the Registration Office clearly identifying the part of the record they want changed and specify why it is inaccurate or misleading. If the Registration Office decides not to amend the record as requested, the student will be notified of the decision and advised of their right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures as outlined in College policy will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.
  3. Consent to disclosure of personally identifiable information contained in the student’s education record, except as otherwise authorized by law. Examples of exceptions to consent of disclosure include:
    1. Access of education records by Ensign College officials and agents having a legitimate educational interest in the records. This category includes any Ensign College official or agent who accesses student educational records for the purpose of performing a task or responsibility relating to his or her employment or professional responsibility at the College. These individuals may include faculty, administration, staff, campus security services, and other College agents, including third party vendors or contracted agents acting in behalf of the College, who manage student education record information including, but not limited to, student education, discipline, or financial aid.
    2. Parents who establish the student’s dependency for federal income tax purposes.
    3. Upon request, Ensign College will disclose educational records without consent to officials of another college or university to which the student is enrolled, or seeks or intends to enroll.
  4. File a complaint with the Department of Education concerning failures by Ensign College to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the office that administers FERPA is the Student Privacy Policy Office, U.S. Department of Education, 400 Maryland Avenue SW, Washington, DC 20202- 5920,


Ensign College offers free short-term counseling assessments to determine the best resources, support, and services (both inside and outside the college) to fit students’ needs. Students struggling with mental health, behavioral issues, or life challenges are encouraged to take advantage of this assessment. If they require more than short-term support, they will be referred to outside counseling services that can best support them in their goals.

Other counseling resources may include workshops and online resources.

Directory Information

Ensign College has designated the following student information as directory information that it may disclose without the consent of the student:

  • Name, addresses, telephone numbers, and e-mail addresses
  • Student ID number
  • Month and day of birth
  • Major fields of study
  • Pictures
  • Dates of attendance (current and past) and number of months/semesters enrolled
  • Class standing (freshman, sophomore)
  • Enrollment status (full-time, part-time, less that half-time)
  • Degrees and awards received
  • Previous educational institution attended
  • Anticipated future enrollments
  • Course registrations prior to the beginning of a semester
  • Dates of employment and job title for student employment positions
  • Deferred registration eligibility
  • Expected date of graduation

Directory Information will not be provided to third parties in the form of mailing lists or labels.

Students have the right to restrict, or block, all disclosure of the above directory information. To request restriction of disclosure of all directory information, students must file a written request with the Registration Office. This restriction will remain until the student specifically rescinds it in writing.

Students may also unlist some or all directory information online by logging into MyBC and clicking the Student Center. Under “Personal Information” click on “Demographic Data.” Choose the “Security” tab and then click on “FERPA restrictions.”

Students may grant permission for others to access financial or academic information by completing the FERPA Release form in their MyBC account. This form allows students to designate what department is authorized to release their information (financial or academic), and those that are authorized to access it. This could include parents, legal guardians, sponsors, etc. A FERPA passphrase is created by the student that can then be given to those who wish to access information.

Departments requesting mailing list information or other directory information may do so by contacting the Registration Office. Departments should provide a written request with the signature of the Vice President, Program Chair, or director explaining the need for the information and how it will be used. The Registration Office will review the request to ensure FERPA compliance. Parents or guardians of students claimed as dependents on the most recently submitted Federal Income Tax form may have grade reports forwarded to them pursuant to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974. Parents of dependent children under the above-described definition must submit their most recent tax forms showing the student as a dependent to the Registration Office.

No grade report will be sent to a parent or guardian without proper authorization. The Registration Office will record tax forms and send grade reports as requested. Parents of students who have declared themselves as independent are not eligible to receive grade reports.

Disability Services

Ensign College provides reasonable academic modifications for students with disabilities according to Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. It is the responsibility of the student to self-identify and provide proper documentation in order for Ensign College to provide adequate academic modifications. The type of documentation required, as well as what is considered current documentation, depends on the individual and the nature of the disability.

Services are individualized based on what reasonable modifications the student needs to ensure that the student has equal access to the educational and administrative services and programs offered at Ensign College. There is no predetermined list of modifications for any particular disability. Modifications are determined through an interactive process that begins during a student’s intake interview with the disability services representative. Modification decisions are based on the impact of a student’s disability, any relevant academic policies, and an assessment of the essential outcomes of a course or program of study.

Temporary medical conditions such as broken limbs, surgery, flu, and pregnancy are not usually considered disabilities and students should work directly with their faculty. Faculty have the right and responsibility to determine what is reasonable adjustments for students in the case of temporary injury or illness. In the event that questions arise as to what is reasonable, the program chair and disability services office can assist with recommendations for assistance.

All inquiries and requests should be submitted to:

Ensign College
Student Success Center
95 N. 300 W.
Salt Lake City, UT 84101
Phone: (801) 524-8151
Fax: (801) 524-1900

Dress and Grooming Standards

Dress and grooming affects how students and those around them think, behave, and learn. Students show respect by their grooming; therefore, students should wear clean, modest clothing that brings honor to themselves and the College. Clothing should not include wording, symbols, artwork or other references that are vulgar, offensive, crude, immoral, or gang-related.

Women should be neat, comely and modest in their attire. Dresses should have sleeves, full backs, reach at least to the knee (even with leggings), and have a high enough neckline so as not to reveal cleavage. Cutoffs, if worn, should reach at least the knee. Blouses should have sleeves, high enough necklines so as not to reveal cleavage, and be long enough to keep the midriff from exposure as the student sits, walks, and bends. Clothing that has holes or ragged tears is inappropriate.

Men should be neat and modest in their attire. Shirts must be worn and should have sleeves. Cutoffs, if worn, should reach at least the knee. Exposed underwear is unwelcomed and inappropriate. Clothing that has holes or ragged tears is inappropriate. (Gen 41:14; 1 Cor 3:16-17; Rise Up, O Men of God, President Gordon B. Hinckley, Ensign, Nov. 2006, 60; A Prophet’s Counsel and Prayer for Youth, President Gordon B. Hinckley, New Era, Jan. 2001; Standards of Dress and Grooming, Elder Dallin H. Oaks, New Era, Dec. 1971)

Hair Styles: Hair styles should reflect the standards espoused by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Bizarre or unusual hair styles or coloring violate the dress and grooming standards. Dreadlocks, mohawks, fauxhawks or other unusual hair styles are not allowed except in cases where such styles are strongly cultural. Such exceptions must be cleared with the Honor Code Office. Men are to have hair cut so as to be off the collar and off the ears and eyebrows.

Facial Hair: Faces should be clean-shaven with sideburns no lower than the bottom of the ear; muttonchops are not allowed. Moustaches are allowed but should not extend below the corners of the mouth. Soul patches and goatees are not allowed.

Piercings: Women who desire to have their ears pierced should wear only one pair of modest earrings. Men should not wear earrings. Other body piercings for men or women are inappropriate.

Tattoos: The body is holy and God’s creation and should not be disfigured; therefore, the Honor Code prohibits getting or displaying tattoos. Tattoos that portray satanic, violent, hateful, lewd themes may not be displayed under any circumstance. Students with previously acquired tattoos must cover them at all times.

Hats: Ensign College is a dedicated building. Out of respect for that status and as a courtesy to faculty and classmates, students are requested not to wear hats in classrooms. Hats with inappropriate language or symbols, or that imply gang membership, violate the College’s dress and grooming standards.

Ecclesiastical Endorsement

As part of our commitment to excellence, you must be in good standing with the Honor Code to be admitted to, attend and graduate from Ensign College. This means your conduct must be consistent with the Honor Code and principles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Annual Ecclesiastical Endorsement is one of the requirements to maintain good standing.

LDS and non-LDS student endorsements

LDS Students: All enrolled, continuing students at Ensign College need to annually submit a continuing endorsement from the bishop of the ward in which they live and that holds their current Church membership record. Students attending wards on or off campus can obtain a form at the Registration Office, or Download the Ecclesiastical Endorsement form and follow directions for submission.

The Registration office will begin accepting continuing student Ecclesiastical Endorsements beginning on March 1st of each academic year. Your new Ecclesiastical Endorsement form must be submitted before you can register for Fall semester.

Other Students: Non-LDS students can be endorsed annually by any local bishop or branch president. Students who need to talk to an LDS bishop may contact the Honor Code Office. Please see if you are applying as a new student.

Whether on or off campus, all students are expected to follow the Honor Code, which includes the (1) Academic Honesty Policy, (2) Dress and Grooming Standards and (3) Continuing Student Ecclesiastical Endorsement.

Withdrawn or Denied Ecclesiastical Endorsement

An ecclesiastical leader may withdraw a student's endorsement at any time or may decline to endorse a continuing student if the leader determines that the student is no longer eligible for the endorsement. If an endorsement is withdrawn or if a Continuing Student Ecclesiastical Endorsement is denied, no confessional information is exchanged without authorization from the student. The withdrawal of a student’s ecclesiastical endorsement automatically results in the loss of good Honor Code standing. Students who are not in good Honor Code standing must discontinue enrollment. Also, they are not eligible for graduation, even if they have otherwise completed all necessary coursework. Excommunication, disfellowshipment, or disaffiliation from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints automatically results in the withdrawal of the student's ecclesiastical endorsement and the loss of good Honor Code standing. Disaffiliation is defined for purposes of this policy as removal of an individual's name from the official records of the Church.

The decision to withdraw an ecclesiastical endorsement or to deny a Continuing Student Ecclesiastical Endorsement may be appealed through appropriate ecclesiastical leaders only. As a matter of practice, Ensign College does not intervene in ecclesiastical matters or endorsements. In unusual circumstances, however, a student may petition the Dean of Students’ Office to allow an exception to the Ecclesiastical Endorsement requirement. As part of the petition, the student must (i) complete an Application for Exception to Policy (this form may be obtained from the Dean of Students Office); (ii) prepare a written statement outlining the reasons why the college should allow an exception; and (iii) within ten business days of receiving notice that the ecclesiastical endorsement has been withdrawn or that a Continuing Student Ecclesiastical Endorsement has been denied, submit the completed application and relevant statements to the Dean of Students Office for consideration.

When considering the petition, the dean of students will determine whether the student has observed and continues to observe the standards of the Honor Code or has demonstrated other sufficiently compelling grounds to warrant an exception to the college’s ecclesiastical endorsement requirement. The dean of students will not review the ecclesiastical leader’s decision to withdraw or deny endorsement or the process for reaching that decision. The dean of students and other college officials will not discuss confidential matters with the student's present or former ecclesiastical leaders unless the student voluntarily signs a release allowing that communication. The dean of students may also choose to personally interview the student, who may further explain the circumstances which might justify an exception to the ecclesiastical endorsement requirement. The student bears the burden of persuasion that he or she should be considered to be in good Honor Code standing, notwithstanding the lack of an ecclesiastical endorsement. The dean of students' decision regarding the petition will be reviewed by the Vice President of Student Services if requested by the student. The decision by the Vice President of Student Services is final.


Graduation Requirements

  • Meet all program requirements.
  • Have a cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.0 or higher.
  • Earn at least 50 percent of required credits directly from Ensign College. Test credits are not included in this 50 percent.
  • Have a current ecclesiastical endorsement.
  • Have all financial accounts with the College current.
  • Apply and be approved for graduation.
  • Complete the Exit Survey.

In addition to specific degree requirements, students must also meet the graduation requirements listed below:

  • Minimum Grade: To satisfy a degree and/or certificate requirements, students must earn a minimum grade of C unless otherwise noted in the specific program requirements. To satisfy general elective requirements students must earn a minimum grade of D-. A passing grade (P) in a Pass/Fail course will satisfy the applicable program requirement.
  • Graduation Catalog: A student is responsible for the program requirements listed in the Ensign College Catalog from the year of first enrollment to the year of graduation. Students are subject to all other policies, requirements, and procedures as outlined in the College catalog for the current academic year.
  • Academic Standing: Students who are academically suspended or academically dismissed may not graduate from Ensign College.
  • Good Honor Code Standing: Students must be in Good Honor Code Standing in order to graduate from Ensign College. Former students wishing to graduate from Ensign College, but whose ecclesiastical endorsement has expired, will need to submit a current endorsement before their application for graduation will be processed.

Application for Graduation

  • All students must be in good Honor Code standing in order to graduate from Ensign College. Former students wishing to graduate from Ensign College, but whose ecclesiastical endorsement has expired, will need to submit a current endorsement before their application for graduation will be processed. If a CES hold exists on the student's record, then any request for graduation will not be processed until the hold has been released.
  • Current students apply for graduation online via the MyBC student portal. Former students may request assistance in applying for graduation by emailing For specific deadlines, students should refer to the Academic Calendar. Students should apply to graduate in the semester they complete their program.
  • Graduates’ names will be included in the commencement program after the semester they graduate, not the commencement in which they march, if different. Official graduation is subject to a degree audit following the last semester of enrollment. Enrollment Services will notify students of any graduation deficiencies via official communication methods. Students who do not satisfy all graduation requirements in the semester for which they applied must reapply to be considered for graduation in a subsequent semester.

Graduation applications open the first day of registration for the specific semester.

Name on the diploma

The Ensign College diploma is a legal representation that the student earned the degree and/or certificate. In which case, the institution uses the student’s legal name printed on the diploma (effective for graduates fall semester 2018).

Diploma Reprint/Reissue Policy

In the event a duplicate copy of a diploma is required due to change of name, lost, stolen, or a duplicate, a request for a replacement may be initiated with our Registrar’s office (online form). The cost for a replacement is $10.00. The new diploma issued will bear the names of the current officials in office at the time the replacement diploma is produced. Inquiries regarding records prior to 1987 will require additional time for research as these records are maintained on microfilm.

Attendance at Commencement

Ensign College Commencement is held annually in April. Students who have completed their program requirements the prior July, August, December and that April, or next July or August are invited and may apply to participate in Commencement.

Graduation Application Invited to participate in Commencement
Fall 2020 April 2021
Winter 2021 April 2021
Spring 2021 April 2021 or April 2022
Fall 2021 April 2022

Graduation Application Invited to participate in Commencement Spring 2020 April 2020 or April 2021 Fall 2020 April 2021 Winter 2021 April 2021 Spring 2021 April 2021or April 2022 Fall 2021 April 2022

Graduates and their families and friends may attend formal Commencement exercises. All graduates, including those who complete their courses of study before Winter Semester, are encouraged to attend. Students who do not attend Commencement may claim a diploma cover from the Registration Office before leaving campus.

Diplomas will be mailed to graduates only after all requirements have been completed and verified, six-to-eight weeks after final grades are posted.

Commencement exercises at Ensign College are unique. We hold Commencement in the Tabernacle located on Temple Square. The historic, sacred location invites the ministry of the Spirit by event proceedings and the conduct of everyone participating in Commencement. To assist in this invitation and show respect for everyone present, graduates participating in Commencement are required to observe the dress and grooming standards of Sunday worship services and the College Honor Code.

Additionally--so as not to draw attention to any individual — flowers, leis and other embellishments, including decorating your cap, are not appropriate in the Commencement ceremony.

Change in Graduation Requirements

The College reserves the right to change the requirements for graduation at any time. Students are responsible to know the current program requirements for graduation. Students are encouraged to counsel with their assigned academic advisor each semester.

Graduation Honors

Honors is based on the cumulative GPA after grades post for the graduation semester. No adjustments will be made for grades posted or changed following the graduation semester. To be eligible, the application must be submitted before the published Final Graduation Application Deadline of the student’s graduation semester.

Students with a 3.70 cumulative GPA or higher will graduate with honors (3.69 GPA does not round up). Honors are based on GPA at the end of the semester prior to the graduation ceremony. Honor students will be recognized by their wearing a gold honors cord during graduation commencement.

Financial Holds

Candidates with outstanding debts to Ensign College, for any reason, will not receive diplomas or official transcripts until all amounts are paid in full.

Standards Holds

Candidates who are not in good Honor Code standing will not receive diplomas until they have completed the requirements outlined by the office they are working with. Students with a standards hold may not participate in commencement.

Exit Survey

In the interest of documenting post-graduation rates of employment for accreditation purposes, all students are required to complete a brief exit survey, available online, approximately one month before their anticipated graduation. Various means will be used to remind students of this graduation requirement, including emails sent to the student’s MyBC email account with a link to the survey, a notation on the student’s Grad Report, and notification through the Career Service offices.

Alumni Association

Since its founding in 1886, nearly 100,000 students have attended Ensign College. Alumni are found across the globe in every walk of life and at every level of personal and professional accomplishment.

Ensign College is pleased to acknowledge many notable alumni, including Russell M. Nelson, seventeenth president and prophet of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Alumni have access to helpful College services. Lifetime career services privileges give alumni access to the College’s employment services where they can review available positions and receive assistance in resume writing and interview coaching. Alumni are also encouraged to utilize LDS Employment Resources Services & Work Agency in their area.

Alumni are encouraged to network with their fellow alumni and mentor the next generation of graduates by joining our alumni platform at

Those who have graduated with completing a certificate or degree, may also take one free course from the regular on-campus curriculum each year beginning the third year after graduation. Graduates returning as degree-seeking students may use the course with the lowest number of credit hours as the free on-campus class (subject to class and seat availability). Students will need to reapply as a former student and complete the admissions application. Then submit the Alumni Brush Up Form.

Alumni are also invited to attend Ensign College weekly Tuesday Devotionals on Temple Square. For a complete list of upcoming Devotional speakers and information, visit the online College calendar. Also, our Devotionals website includes previous addresses with videos and transcripts.

Contact Us

Ensign College Alumni Association
95 North 300 West
Salt Lake City, UT 84101-3500


Ensign College’s approved housing program differs from the housing program offered by other schools affiliated with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Although landlords of approved housing agree to promote the Ensign College Housing Policy and Residential Living Standards in housing units leased to students, Ensign College does not (a) oversee landlords’ enforcement or compliance with the Housing Policy and Residential Living Standards, (b) inspect or monitor the condition or cleanliness of units, (c) review or approve lease terms or (d) mediate or become involved in disputes between landlords and students. Students are strongly encouraged to carefully read any lease and inspect and evaluate any apartment before the student signs any lease.

Housing facilities are available to Ensign College students through a variety of off-campus property owners, including Property Reserve, Inc. (PRI), the commercial real-estate arm of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The Ensign College does not own, operate or control any student housing facilities. As an informal service to its students, the Ensign College provides a list of possible housing opportunities on its website. Students are free to make housing arrangements wherever they like and are under no obligation to choose from the facilities listed.

Two of the rental properties listed on the College’s web site, the Plaza and the Lodge, are owned by and are under the control of PRI. PRI has contracted with Horne Lodging Properties to manage the Plaza and the Lodge on a day-to-day basis. Generally speaking, the managers of these two properties are able to exercise a greater degree of control in requiring adherence to the Honor Code standards than the management of other facilities.

Ensign College makes no representation or warranty as to the suitability, quality, safety, living conditions, tenant satisfaction, value, or any other factor or condition with respect to any of the housing facilities listed on its website. The student and his or her family are solely responsible for making all housing arrangements while attending the Ensign College, including determining the suitability of a particular facility and for inspecting and otherwise evaluating the facility before entering into a lease agreement.

Plaza/Lodge Meal Plan

Because dormitory-style housing includes no personal food preparation facilities, all applicants to the Lodge and the Plaza are required to make a $500 dining services payment to Ensign College as a condition of being eligible to reside in either of those two facilities. The student resident then receives an electronic card with the $500 balance that is usable at the Ensign College BC Café.

  • The cards are picked up at the BC Café.
  • The $500 non-refundable dining services payment is required in full before housing reservations can be made for The Lodge or The Plaza.
  • Residents use this convenient electronic card to purchase meals or snacks at the Ensign College BC Café which is located adjacent to the main campus building.
  • The balance on the card may be carried from semester to semester until is it used up.
  • Residents have the option of replenishing the card balance at any time.
  • Any balance remaining on the card is forfeited if the student fails to register for classes at the College for two consecutive semesters, including spring session.
  • Participation in the Ensign College pre-paid food service subsequent to the initial $500 dining services payment is encouraged but is optional.

International Students

In order to be admitted to Ensign College, an international student MUST select an associate degree program. International students are not allowed to only study certificates at Ensign College.

It is the responsibility of international students to follow the procedures, policies and regulations according to the Department of Homeland Security and International Student Office (ISO). The ISO is located on the second floor in the Enrollment Management Office. Study in the States is an excellent website for international students.

Records and Registration

Adding Courses

A period in which a student may add a class that is available on the catalog with available seating. See academic calendar for specific dates and deadlines.


Students wanting to audit a class (register for and attend class as a “listener” without receiving credit or a grade) must declare this at the time of registration. Tuition and fees are the same as if the class were taken for credit. Audited courses fulfill no graduation requirements and earn no credit. Therefore, they do not count in the credit load for international students, veterans, students receiving financial aid, or other tuition support programs. Students may not challenge courses they have audited. Incomplete grade contracts may not be fulfilled by auditing a course. It is possible to change from audit status to credit status, or vice versa, from the beginning of the registration period through the last date to drop classes. (See Academic Calendar.)

Credit/audit changes should only be made after careful consideration of the financial aid and credit load implications and after consultation with the Financial Aid Office and an academic advisor.

Dropping Courses

Drops exist to allow students the ability to adjust their class schedule at the beginning of each semester. Courses may be dropped through the date noted on the Academic Calendar.

Grading System

Grades are determined by each instructor based upon an evaluation of all assigned and completed coursework. Course participation, mastery of subject matter, and promise of continuing success in sequential courses in related fields are all criteria used to evaluate progress.

  • “A” represents outstanding understanding, application, and integration of subject material and extensive evidence of original thinking, skillful use of concepts, and ability to analyze and solve complex problems. Demonstrates diligent application of Learning Model principles, including initiative in serving other students.
  • “B” represents considerable/significant understanding, application, and incorporation of the material that would prepare a student to be successful in next level courses, graduate school, or employment. The student participates in the Learning Model as applied in the course.
  • “C” represents sufficient understanding of subject matter. The student demonstrates minimal initiative to be prepared for class. Sequenced courses could be attempted, but mastering new materials might prove challenging. The student participates only marginally in the Learning Model.
  • “D” represents poor performance and initiative to learn, understand, and apply course materials. Retaking a course or remediation may be necessary to prepare for additional instruction in this subject matter.
  • “E” represents failure in the course.
  • “P” represents passing the course and is not calculated into the GPA.
  • “W” represents withdrawal from the class and is not calculated into the GPA.
  • “UW” represents an unofficial withdrawal which is given to a student who meets the following criteria: Did not complete proper withdrawal procedures; has record of non-attendance that began before the last date to withdraw from individual courses without grade earned; and did not complete any work, tests, or class related assignments after attendance ceased. The “UW” is calculated into the GPA as a failing grade value. (0.0)
  • “I” is a conditional grade. (See Incomplete Grade)
  • “CR” indicates credit given.
  • “NC” indicated no credit.
  • “NR” represents the grade was not reported by the instructor. A student receiving a “NR” grade should contact the instructor to request that a valid grade be submitted to Enrollment Services.
  • “V” indicates a course taken for audit.
  • Under some circumstances, students receiving financial aid may not be eligible to receive a grade of CR, NC, P, I, W, or V. Consult the Financial Aid Office for additional information relevant to specific situations.
  • CR/NC (Credit/No Credit). Credit/No Credit courses do not count towards graduation and are not calculated into the GPA. A mastery level of 80% is required to receive credit in the following courses:

Credit Definitions

Attempted: The total number of credits in which a student has registered in a semester or on a cumulative basis.

  • Earned: The total number of credits completed with a progress grade in a semester or on a cumulative basis.
  • Passed: The total number of credits earned that do not factor into a semester or cumulative GPA.
  • Quality: The total number of credits earned that factor into a semester or cumulative GPA.
  • Points: The total number of grade points earned in a semester or on a cumulative basis.

The following table indicates each grade variant at Ensign College with its equivalent grade points:

One Credit Of Equals Grade Points
A 4.0
A- 3.7
B+ 3.4
B 3.0
B- 2.7
C+ 2.4
C 2.0
C- 1.7
D+ 1.4
D 1.0
D- 0.7
E 0.0
UW 0.0
P *
I *
IP *
W *
NR *
CR *
NC *
V **

*Does not affect the GPA calculation, but may impact Satisfactory Academic progress.

**Does not affect the GPA calculation, does not impact Satisfactory Academic Progress, and does not appear on the official transcript.

Calculating GPA and SAP

GPA: quality points divided by quality credits

SAP: earned credits divided by attempted credits

NOTE: Student financial aid eligibility may be determined by a different GPA standard and Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) percentage.

Challenge Exam Policy

Students may choose to take a challenge exam, which carries credit and a pass/fail grade, to fulfill the requirements for eligible courses. Students may request to earn credit through a challenge exam if they are eligible to enroll, including having an ecclesiastical endorsement.

  • Students may challenge a course only one time.
  • Students may not challenge a course for which they are currently registered.
  • Student also may not challenge a course that they have previously failed or from which they have previously withdrawn or received credit.
  • Although students may request to challenge a course for credit, individual departments determine whether an examination exists and will be offered. Departments also determine the passing score for each challenge exam.

Students wishing to appeal the grade or credit awarded for the challenge exam should follow the Grievance Policy and Procedures for Academics.

Course Credit Hours and Classroom Preparation Time

Ensign College measures academic credit in credit hours. In accordance with federal regulation, a credit hour at the College is the amount of work represented in intended learning outcomes and verified by evidence of student achievement that reasonably approximates not less than:

  • One hour of classroom or direct faculty instruction and a minimum of two hours of out-of-class student work each week for approximately fourteen weeks for one semester hour of credit.
  • An average student can expect to spend a minimum of two hours in outside preparation time for every hour in class. For example, in a 3-credit hour class, an average student can expect six hours of outside preparation time each week. This represents the average student who is appropriately prepared; more time may be required to achieve excellence.


When a student requires their attendance to be deferred for a specific and designated time to serve a mission or is called on military duty, student will need to submit a deferment form indicating the semester they will return.

All students returning from deferment will go through the admissions application, submit a new Ecclesiastical Endorsement, and will be notified by admissions regarding the return from deferment.

If a student returns from deferment earlier than stated on their deferment form, they will need to contact the Office of Admissions to update the expected return date.

Did Not Enroll the Semester Admitted

Any student who does not enroll in classes the semester they are admitted will need to reapply for admissions.


A student will be discontinued from the College if they do not enroll after missing two consecutive semesters. After the add deadline of the third semester, students will be discontinued. Students will have to reapply for admissions.

Grade Changes

After the final grade submission deadline, grades may be changed only for the following reasons:

  • No grade was submitted by the deadline.
  • A calculation error was made in computing the grade.
  • The wrong grade was posted.
  • An Incomplete grade contract was finalized.
  • The previous grade was re-evaluated, but no additional work was submitted.
  • A grade change should not be submitted if a student completes any additional work beyond the end of the semester. If extenuating circumstances exist, an incomplete grade may be granted if requested before the grade submission deadline.

A submitted grade typically cannot be changed to a W (Official Withdrawal). Students who had a non-academic emergency may file an Exception to Academic Policy form.

In addition to changing a student’s semester and cumulative GPAs, a grade change may also change a student’s total earned credits. A grade change may also positively or negatively impact a student’s academic standing.

Grade change requests may only be submitted by the instructor or an authorized designee via the College’s approved grade change process. Grade change requests older than one year are additionally reviewed by the Director of Academic & Institutional Assessment and typically are not approved.

Incomplete Grades

An incomplete grade (“I”) is a conditional grade and granted only when extenuating circumstances beyond the student’s control occur after the semester withdrawal deadline. Incomplete grades are given only if students are passing the course and would be capable of completing the work before the end of the subsequent semester.

The instructor must receive approval from the Academic Office before issuing an “I” grade. Contracts are available from the Academic Office. A grade contract must be completed and signed by both instructor and student before the semester ends; not afterwards.

The student must be able to complete the remaining work on an individual basis with the instructor. Re-enrollment or attendance in all or part of the same course during a subsequent semester cannot be required as part of the contract. The general length of time to fulfill the requirements of an incomplete contract is one additional semester.

Instructor and student must meet to determine the extent of work/assignments to be complete and the due date(s). Student must take the contract to the Cashier’s Office, pay the $5.00 incomplete grade fee, and return the Incomplete Grade Contract to the Academic Office for copies to be made for both the student and the instructor.

Class attendance in a subsequent semester or re-registering is not permitted to make up the incomplete.

If the incomplete work has not been finished by the end of the semester after the “I” was given, the “I” will be change by the Registrar’s Office to an “E” grade.

Readiness Testing


Ensign College does not require readiness placement testing for the English department.

Ensign College has designed a new method for placing students in English courses. This method is called Directed Self-Placement. Readiness placement testing based on ACT scores, ACCUPLACER, TOEFL scores, etc. is no longer a mandatory indicator of which English course students should take. Incoming students looking to enroll in English 101 or its equivalent courses (English 101SA/101SB) should follow the recommendations in the Directed Self-Placement guide and select the course best suited to their individual needs. Directed Self-Placement supports the mission of our college to “develop trusted and capable disciples of Jesus Christ.” We encourage all students to complete their English 101 requirement in their first year at Ensign College.


Placement test scores, ACT/SAT scores, or a transcript showing college transfer credits are required to register for any math class above MAT 90. Test scores or previous college credit will determine which course is appropriate.

An updated Ensign College readiness test is required if previous ACT, SAT, or placement test scores are more than 18 months old.

Students must complete placement testing or have approved transfer credits/AP scores before registering for a second semester at Ensign College. Those who have not met this requirement will be unable to register until a placement test is taken.

Repeatable Courses

Repeatable courses allow a class to be taken two or more times for additional credit. Most classes at Ensign College are not repeatable for credit. Repeatable courses are generally designated with an “R” at the end of the course code (ex: MUS 102R). Departments establish the maximum number of credits and times a course can be repeated. A repeated course does not replace the former grade or credit of a previously completed course, unless the maximum allowable repeats have been exceeded. In such cases the enrollments are treated as a retake (See “Repeating Courses”).

Approval to enroll in a repeatable course for the purpose of replacing a previous credit and grade must be obtained from the Academic Exceptions Committee prior to registering for the course.

Repeating Courses

Students should seriously consider repeating courses if they have already received the satisfactory grade (C or higher) towards their program and graduation requirements. If a student chooses to repeat a course, they can repeat a course only once. They must register and pay tuition for the semester in which the class is repeated. The original grade remains on the record and is marked as a repeated course. Once the course has been discontinued, the right to repeat the course is gone.

The highest grade received in the course will then be used in calculating the student’s cumulative grade point average. Hours earned in repeat courses may be counted toward graduation requirements only once. Students must obtain approval from the Program Chair on the third attempt of the course (second repeat) if the student still has not achieved a C or higher grade.

Financial aid (including Pell Grants & Direct Loans) will only pay for students to re-take a class once after receiving a passing grade. Certain eligibility requirements apply. See financial aid eligibility.

Ensign College courses cannot be replaced by equivalent courses from other institutions.

Sexual Misconduct Policy

Ensign College is committed to promoting and maintaining a safe and respectful environment for the campus community. The College will not tolerate sexual harassment, sexual violence, domestic violence, dating violence, or stalking (collectively “sexual misconduct”) perpetrated by or against any College students, College employees, participants in College programs and activities, or visitors to its campus. This policy prohibits Sexual Misconduct by College employees (which include all faculty, staff, and administrative employees) and students, whether the behavior occurs on or off campus. This policy also prohibits Sexual Misconduct by or against visitors to the College (such as independent contractors, vendors, visiting lecturers, etc.).

The College will take immediate and appropriate steps to stop Sexual Misconduct, prevent its recurrence, and address its effects. Any person who violates this policy may be subject to discipline up to and including termination of employment, suspension, dismissal, and a ban from campus, depending on the circumstances and the severity of the violation and the violator’s status as an employee, student, or visitor. Further detail about the Sexual Misconduct policy can be found at For more information, or to report a concern, contact the Title IX Office at (801) 524-8158.

Test and Transfer Credit

Students may earn a maximum of 50% of the credit required for a credential from Ensign College by transfer credit and credit by examination. Test credit includes Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), College Level Examination Program (CLEP), course challenge examinations, and industry certifications. All scores must be on official transcripts. Additional information can be found at

Transcript Requests

Official academic transcript requests are made online at Transcripts may not be ordered by phone, e-mail, paper or fax. Transcripts can be requested by both current and former Ensign College students by logging into their current or former student account. When requesting a transcript, students and former students may choose a certified electronic PDF transcript delivered within minutes of placing an order. Students and former students may also choose a paper copy to be sent by US Postal mail or overnight delivery for a fee. Official transcripts will not be released until all Ensign College debts have been paid in full. For more information, visit

Transfer Evaluation

Concurrent/Dual Enrollment Programs

Students may receive credit for courses previously taken through an early college program if those courses were administered from a regionally-accredited college or university and are recorded on an official college or university transcript. Official transcripts must be sent to Ensign College to be considered for transferability. Concurrent or dual enrollment courses sent on a high school transcript will not be considered for transferability.

Full Disclosure of Transfer Schools

Failure to submit official transcripts to Ensign College from all institutions a student has attended or are currently attending, both U.S. and international, may result in disciplinary action including dismissal from Ensign College.

Official Transcripts

Ensign College considers evaluation of courses only with an official college or university transcript. Official transcripts are transcripts mailed in a sealed envelope from the institution or through a secured electronic transmission. Ensign College will not evaluate transcripts submitted via any method deemed unsecure by the College.

Transfer from Ensign College

While Ensign College makes every effort to establish articulation agreements with other colleges and universities, students who are considering transferring to another college or university should review that institution’s transfer guidelines.

Transfer to Ensign College

Ensign College generally accepts college level transfer credits from regionally-accredited colleges and universities. Courses from institutions that are not regionally-accredited are generally not transferable to Ensign College except in circumstances where there is an articulation agreement with a specific institution and program. Generally, courses completed 10 or more years ago will be accepted as elective credit.

Only transfer courses with a grade of C- or higher are eligible for transfer consideration. Additionally, transfer credit may be used to satisfy degree requirements but will not be calculated into the Ensign College GPA. Transfer courses in disciplines not offered at Ensign College or considered to be out of harmony with established principles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will not be accepted by Ensign College for credit consideration.

Institute of Religion Cornerstone classes with a grade are transferable. These classes do not count toward the religion residency requirement.

Transfer of Religion Credit from Other Universities

Religion credit earned at other LDS Church schools will transfer to Ensign College as an equivalent religion course or elective credit so long as the course is taken for credit and such credit is noted on an official transcript. While religion credits from other LDS Church schools may transfer to fulfill required religion content, they do not satisfy the Ensign College resident religion requirement (religion courses taken while attending Ensign College). Coursework in religious studies from any institution other than an LDS Church school or Institute of Religion will not be accepted toward filling the Ensign College religion requirements.

Transfer of Religion credit from CES Institutes of Religion

Religion credit earned at Church Education System (CES) Institutes of Religion will transfer to Ensign College as an equivalent religion course or elective credit so long as the course is taken for “Church University” or “BYU” credit and such credit is noted on an official Institute transcript. Qualifying Religion credit taken from CES Institutes of Religion do not count as residency religion requirements.

International Transfer Credit

Students with transcripts from institutions outside the United States may be given credit at Ensign College on a case-by-case basis. Transfer credit will be considered when a translation/evaluation is submitted from one of the two approved translation services listed below. Students may choose one of the two and should request the detail report that the evaluation service sends be sent directly to Ensign College. They must also provide the College with an official copy of their transcripts from the institution they attended.

International Education Research Foundations, Inc.
P.O. Box 3665
Culver City, CA 90231-3665
Phone: (310) 258-9451
Must request a “Detail Report”

World Education Services, Inc.
P.O. Box 26879
San Francisco, CA 94126-6879
Phone: (310) 258-9451
Must request a “Detail Report”

Reverse Transfer

Reverse transfer allows a former student to reverse credits they took at another institution back to Ensign College to complete their degree (certificate and/or associates). Former students will need to complete the reverse transfer request form and provide the official transcripts to Ensign College to be evaluated. Students will not need to reapply for admissions if they do not intend to take any classes at the college, but rather to submit the reverse transfer request form and official transcripts. No more than 50% of transfer credits may be used to satisfy Ensign College degree requirements. Students are required to follow all graduation requirements (See Graduation).


If a course is full and a student would like to be placed on the waitlist, students have the option to be added to a waitlist queue. Students can utilize the waitlist process in their course registration process in MyBC. If an open seat becomes available in the course, the next student in the queue will be enrolled. Students will be emailed a confirmation when they are added to the course from the waitlist.

All registration errors and holds must be resolved in order for the student to be moved from the waitlist into a course when an opening in the course becomes available. A student will not be enrolled in a course from the waitlist if there are any registration errors. Common registration errors are as follows:

  • The student is already registered for another section of that class
  • There is a hold on the student's account
  • The waitlist class has a time conflict with another class on the student’s schedule
  • The student has not met the prerequisites for this class
  • The course will put the student in an overload status for the semester (cannot exceed 18 credits in a semester)
  • The course requires the instructor's permission or other requirements

Withdrawal from Courses

Withdrawals exist to allow students time to determine if a class fits their ability and goals. Students are expected to take responsibility to ensure that their schedules are correct and to attend all courses for which they are registered until they officially withdraw from those courses. The following policies apply:

  • Students who have not attended class by the final class session of the first week of the semester may be administratively dropped by the Registrar’s Office at the request of course instructors. This policy does not, however, relieve students of the responsibility to inform the Registrar’s Office in advance of the semester of classes they do not plan to attend.
  • Students must drop from their schedules the courses which they do not plan to attend. Dropped courses will not appear on student transcripts if they are dropped by the Add/Drop date announced on the Academic Calendar.
  • After the time period designated above, students who officially withdraw from a course receive a W (official withdrawal) on their permanent record. The W is not used in calculating GPA. Official withdrawal may occur through the date announced on the Academic Calendar.
  • Under no circumstances is dropping a course after the official withdrawal period permitted for purposes of avoiding an unsatisfactory grade. After the end of the official withdrawal period, withdrawal (W) will only be authorized for critical circumstances which are beyond the student’s control and prevent them from completing courses for which they are registered. In such cases, circumstances must be documented and presented in a petition to the Registrar’s Office. In cases of serious illness or injury, family members may petition for student withdrawal.
  • Students who never attended class or who stop attending class but do not officially withdraw by the withdrawal deadline will receive an Unofficial Withdrawal (UW). The UW is calculated in the GPA as a failing grade (E).

Withdrawal from the College

Students can withdraw from the College at their own discretion.

Students may withdraw or drop all classes through MyBC through the drop deadline. Students may also submit a request form with signature authorizing the Office of the Registrar to withdraw all courses through the drop deadline. (The official date of withdrawal will be the date written notification is received by the College.) Students should be mindful of the financial aid implications, international student status, and other factors that will result in dropping all their classes and withdrawing from the college. Students are strongly encouraged to meet with appropriate services at the College prior to withdrawing from the college through MyBC.

When a student completely withdraws from Ensign College after the tuition deadline, a pro-rated refund can be given by request until 60% of the semester has passed. There will be NO REFUND given when a student withdraws from school after 60% of the semester has elapsed.


Free tutoring services are provided in the Student Success Center (801-524-8151) for all Ensign College students. There are drop-in labs for Accounting, Math and Writing. Other subjects are available by appointment.

Veterans Education Benefits

Degree programs at Ensign College are approved by the state approving agency for the enrollment of persons eligible to receive education benefits from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA).

Ensign College will not impose any penalty, including the assessment of late fees, the denial of access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities, or the requirement that a covered individual borrow additional funds, on any covered individual because of the individual’s inability to meet his or her financial obligations to Ensign College due to the delayed disbursement funding from VA under chapter 31 or 33.